Slovenian born Barbara Jezersek started out as a swimmer and only participated in cross country skiing occasionally because her brother was a Nordic Combined athlete. A bout of bronchitis however forced her out of the pool and soon she was making junior national teams for Slovenia on the snow. She watched her brother Andrej compete at the Salt Lake City 2002 Olympic Games and decided she wanted to beat his results.
Jezersek made her Olympic debut for Slovenia at the Vancouver 2010 Games finishing 14th in the 4x5 km relay, 17th in the 7.5 km + 7.5 km double pursuit, and 40th in the 10 km. Four years later in Sochi, again competing for Slovenia, she claimed 19th in the skiathlon, 41st in the 10km classic, 11th in the 4x5 km relay and 31st in the 30km mass start free.
Following the Sochi Games Jezersek began instructing at Perisher and after not competing for eight months, in 2016 she got her Australian citizenship and set her sights on making her third Olympic Games at PyeongChang.
Jezersek became Australia’s first ever cross country athlete to record a top 30 performance at a World Championships when she finished 24th in the 15km skiathlon at the 2017 event in Lahti, Finland.
She joined Jessica Yeaton in the team sprint free in Dresden, making more history as the duo became the nation’s first ever finalists in the event at a World Cup. The duo will again combine in the same event in PyeongChang as Jezersek competes in her third Olympic Games and first for Australia.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Cross Country Skiing
Sydney, NSW, Australia
- 46th – 10km classic - 2018 World Cup (Planica, Czech Republic)
- 10th – team sprint - 2018 World Cup (Dresden, Germany)
- 45th – sprint - 2018 World Cup (Dresden, Germany)
- 17th place at Vancouver Olympic Games - 15km Skiathlon, 2010
- 19th place at Sochi Olympic Games - 15km Skiathlon, 2014
- 17th place at 10km SKATE in LATHI, 2014
Ales Gros (2003-2006, 2014 - current)
NSD Medvode, Medvode, Slovenia
Primary Training Base
Sydney - Northern Beaches, NSW
Secondary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Favourite holiday destination
- Slovenian mountains
- I would spend my last $10 on
- cinema ticket
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- my mother