After making his first mark on the international snowboard cross circuit in 2012, claiming a silver medal at the Junior World Champs, Jarryd Hughes will line up for his second Olympic Games in PyeongChang.
After finishing an impressive 11th in his first World Championships in 2013, he was unable to compete in the domestic season after undergoing knee surgery, but bounced back into the 2013/14 World Cup season with a bang finishing a credible eighth at a World Cup event in Montafon.
Competing at his first Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Hughes was ranked number two in the World on the FIS World Cup Rankings heading into the event. But luck was not on his side in his Olympic quarter-final. Hughes was near the front of the pack before being knocked off balance by Germany’s Konstantin Schad, in a typical racing incident, placing him 17th overall.
In 2016, the youngster claimed the X-Games title in Aspen, CO, USA. Hughes led a historic 1-2 finish, with teammate Alex Pullin in second. Proving he means business, Hughes burst into the Olympic season with a World Cup victory in Montafon.
Hughes’ family owns the biggest skatepark in the southern hemisphere called Monster Skate Park.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Sydney, NSW, Australia
- 1st - 2018 World Cup (Montafon, Austria)
- 8th - 2018 World Cup (Cerro Catedral, Argentina)
- 34th - 2017 World Championships (Sierra Nevada, Spain)
- 2016 Winter X Games Gold medal, Aspen Colorado - This is biggest event in snowboarding and i was stoked to come away with the win and be the first Australian male to win an X Games Gold medal
- 2014 Winter Olympic Team
- 2013 - Winning the Lake Louise World Cup and becoming the youngest World #1
Rob Fagan, Ross Dunlop 2016 - current
Perisher Winter Sports Club
Primary Training Base
Secondary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Favourite holiday destination
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Food, definitely food
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Swimming, Rugby 7's , Canoe slalom, Kayak
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- I have a few, the first would have to be my father, then I have people like , Tom Carter, Pierre Vaultier, Seth Wescott,